Ok, so there are a few points I want to hit, none of them really big enough for a dedicated post, but all important enough that I want to get out into cyberspace before they escape through the wind tunnel betwixt my ears.
1. Tomorrow is the big day. The day of the expected 100 pounds lost weigh-in. As of yesterday, I still needed to lose 1.5 lbs but that was in the afternoon and wearing jeans. And we all know that jeans weigh at least 25 pounds. Riiiight. But, I think I've got a hold on this one. I've worked really hard for this day and tomorrow is my day. I hope.
2. Many people are in denial. Many many people are in denial. No one is over a hundred pounds overweight because they simply enjoy hamburgers over fish. There is always a deep seeded emotional component. For some, it is probably so deep that they do not even realize that it exists. It's not a fun journey to take. To realize that you did not grow up in the fairy-tale that you were always told you grew up in. But, it's powerful. It's a powerful feeling to have a deeper understanding of yourself and your past, and by default, your future. Honestly, my relationship with my mother, whom I directly or indirectly feel is a major contributing cause to "why I am the way I am" has never been better than it is right now. I've accepted her for who she is. She is not June Cleaver. She lacks the ability to understand and see the deeper meaning and how nuances are just as important, and sometimes moreso than direct communication. But, I think she is starting to realize that I've started accepting her and, in turn, she's started accepting me.
But back to the denial. I had a conversation last week with a client of mine who happens to be overweight and I referred her to Dr. AsianHonoraryJew and we talked about how I'm doing it, etc. She looked me square in the eye, at 45 years old, 230 lbs and standing at about 5'7" and told me that she's not an emotional eater, she just enjoys the foods that are bad for you as opposed to the ones that are good for you and therefore makes poor choices.
Well, since she knows this fact, she knows she's self-sabotaging and that clearly means there is something, buried deep down inside, something she is maybe unaware of or trying not to think about, and THAT is her trigger. I don't know. All I know is that the actual mechanics of losing weight are the same as studying for the SAT's, or really doing any project. It doesn't matter if you follow an expensive formal plan, or if you buy a book and follow instructions, but as long as you follow a proven program, you will have success. That part is very easy. It's easy to lose weight. The hard part is dealing with the emotional toll that this whole process takes on a person.
Ok, I guess I only had 2 points. Maybe I had more than one and the rest are dispersed throughout this post.
I'll leave you all with this thought for the day... It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Monday, June 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment