Note: You may want to read the post just prior to this one for an even story flow. Or not. Your choice. Moving on.
"Sharon?" I looked up. "Sharon???" "That's me." "Please follow me," The nurse sighed, almost as though I was an inconvenience to her. And she stopped in front of the doctors scale. "Hope on." "Uhhh," I was trying to think of some reason why I couldn't get on the scale, but even *I* couldn't. "Ok, hang on a sec." I removed my shoes, watch, sunglasses from head, spit out my gum and set down my cell phone and purse; I stepped up onto the scale, took a deep breath, closed my eyes and listened. I heard the clinking of the weights moving back and forth and finally scribbling. I looked up. 250. "I weigh two hundred and fifty pounds!!!" "Follow me, and let's take your blood pressure."
I followed her into the exam room and hopped on the bed, still in utter shock at the number that I had just been labeled with. Blood pressure: 160 over 109. Very high, especially for someone my age. "Dr. AsianHonoraryJew will be with you shortly." "Thanks."
This left me with some time to think. I was trying to figure out how I had gotten myself to that point. Would he suggest surgery? Was I really over that 100 lb threshold where surgery would be an option? What's the matter with me? I've always been on the heavy side, but this is ridiculous. What am I doing here? All diets are the same. I've been there and done that and tried them all and failed. Ugh, after this I'm getting some Jack in the Crack.
"And you must be Sharon! I'm Dr. AsianHonoraryJew!" "Hi there. So, how do we do this? What's the program?" We sat back and reviewed my extensive medical history, family history, weight gain/loss history, relationship with food and various habits I have. After listening to me talk, he said a few things, "You suffer from insomnia, maybe you hate your mother, you're going to kill yourself if you keep living your life like this, for you, like many of my patients, it's not about the food and you need to trust and listen to me." "Ok. I'm not so sure that I actually HATE my mother though. I love her. It's complicated. One day I'll figure it out."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment